How to ensure their longevity
Your micromanipulator is undoubtedly one of the most vital pieces of electrophysiology equipment in your laboratory. Moving and positioning pipettes and electrodes with micron-level precision and extreme stability, it provides the ideal combination of freedom, control, and adjustment capabilities that you require, and can be used for a wide range of purposes.
Given the right care and handling, high-quality micromanipulators – such as those supplied by ourselves here at Digitimer – should last for many years. In this blog, we’ve listed some helpful tips to ensure their longevity.
Caring for your micromanipulator
Your new micromanipulator will arrive fully calibrated and ready for use. Follow the following tips to guarantee its trouble-free operation and long-term accurate performance.
- Careful handling – You should take great care when moving your micromanipulator. As such a delicate precision instrument, it needs to be treated with great care, as even a small drop or knock can damage its alignment.
- Keep your micromanipulator covered – When not in use, you should always cover your micromanipulator. It is vital to keep it protected from dust and dirt, which can clog the mechanisms, seriously affecting its performance.
- Close the slides – When your micromanipulator is not in use, you should close all the slides to prevent dust from accumulating in the guides.
- Use the full range of movement – We recommend that you operate your micromanipulator in its full working range at least once every three months. This will keep the grease pliable and allow it to spread evenly, as it can coagulate in the unused areas otherwise. Grease coagulation can cause the drive unit to stop working properly, and the control dials to become stiff.
- Don’t apply grease – The drive unit and control knobs of your micromanipulator incorporate high-precision screws that come pre-greased. Therefore, it is not necessary to oil it. In fact, with normal use, you shouldn’t need to apply grease to your micromanipulator for many years.
Browse our range of micromanipulators today
We supply the complete Narishige electrophysiology equipment range, which includes mechanical, motorised, and hydraulic manipulators for various electrophysiological applications. In addition to the micromanipulators themselves, we also supply a range of accessories, including patch clamp headstage holders and various adjustable stands and clamps.
If you have any questions about our micromanipulators or accessories, please don’t hesitate to contact our knowledgeable team.