The PLI-90A picoinjector reliably delivers injections from femtoliters to nanoliters through micropipettes by applying a regulated pressure for a digitally set period of time.
Whether you need to do large injections into capillaries or very small injections into mammalian nuclei, the PLI-90A is up to the task.
Pressure to the pipette is controlled precisely through a multi-turn regulator and is reported digitally for reproducibility. Injection time is set using an optically encoded circuit that permits both fine and coarse settings from a single control knob. System timing can be controlled in three ways: push button, foot switch, or external trigger.
Unique Pressure Capabilities
The PLI-90A features three positive pressures.
These functions allow the user to:
- Inject – Inject picoliter to nanoliter amounts of fluids
- Balance – Apply a balance pressure to prevent backflow into the micropipette following an injection
- Clear – Clear a micropipette of material that is blocking the tip
The PLI-90A’s Balance and Clear functions are features not found on other microinjection units.
- – In addition to the injection pressure, the PLI-90A offers a secondary balance pressure. This adjustable control applies a positive pressure to the injection pipette both before and after an injection that eliminates dilution caused by capillary action and aids in the prevention of clogging. Wasteful continuous injections that can occur when no separate balance pressure is available is avoided.
- – A high-pressure pulse can be used for clearing a pipette should it happen to clog. This is especially useful when working with pipettes sized for smaller volumes.
BNC type connectors are available at the front panel to ease integrating the PLI with other equipment. Synchronization with or control from injections with a data acquisition system is possible.
The PLI-90A is available in two packages: Basic and Plus:
- The Basic system comes with an input hose, output hose, and input hose adapter.
- The Plus system comes with everything in the Basic system with the addition of one foot switch and a 130 mm stainless steel pipette holder.
- All PLI-90A’s require a micromanipulator and support stand, which must be purchased separately.
- The standard metal pipette holder (PLI-PH1) that comes with the PLI-90A can be replaced by an Acrylic Pipette Holder, which must be purchased separately.
- For labs lacking bottled gas or pressurized air, the AIR-1 compressor is available.